Friday, September 3, 2010

Day 17

Day 17 – Your favorite memory
I've been thinking about this entry all day long. I guess most people would say their favorite memory would be the first time they held their child, or their wedding day.
My favorite memory isn't a milestone event. Its just a moment. I don't even remember the date or time. What season it was, or even how old I was. I know that I was no older than four years old. My memory is about my Papa. He was my Great Grandfather and he lived with us. He died two weeks before my fifth birthday.
This memory took place in our den. We had one of those brown pleather type fabric couches with the wooden arms. My Papa was sitting on the couch in his pajamas and blue robe. I was standing there in front of the couch sort of propped up at Papa's legs. He was patting and rubbing my blonde hair and saying I was his baby. I remember my head tingling because it felt so relaxing for him to rub my head like that.
He was the only "daddy" figure I ever knew and I hate that I lost him so early in my life. That memory has stuck in my head for the last 20-something years and is so precious to me.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh, Kathi.

That is the sweetest thing I have read in a long time.

::sniff-sniff::